About Reigate Labour
Who are Reigate Constituency Labour Party?
We are an active, campaigning organization of people just like you from all walks of life, all ages and all backgrounds. We have a strong history of campaigning and working in the area, contesting all local and national elections, alongside scrutinising the council to make sure the interests of ordinary people are represented!
What do we believe?
Labour believes that by the strength of our common endeavour, we achieve more than we achieve alone. Through this philosophy we can create for each of us the means to realise our true potential and for all of us a community in which power, wealth and opportunity are in the hands of the many, not the few, so that we can empower society for the benefit of us all and live together, freely, in a spirit of solidarity, tolerance and respect.
Labour’s National Plan
In the 2017 and 2019 general elections, Labour fought for a programme of radical transformative change that would rebalance society in favour of ordinary people and away from the 1%. See our previous manifestoes below.
Under our new leader Keir Starmer, we are yet to fight a general election. However policies have been announced in key areas that highlight Labour’s position as a government in waiting…
Cost of Living
- FREEZE energy bills at the current price cap of £1,971 until April
- EXTEND the windfall tax on energy company profits, backdating the policy to January
- REDUCE inflation by keeping energy costs down
- CUT small business rates
Long Term Energy Security
- INSULATE 19 million homes
- CUT national gas imports by 15%
- DOUBLE Britain’s onshore and offshore wind capacity
- NEW solar, tidal and hydrogen energy projects
- £28 BILLION in new green capital investment per year until 2030
- GREEN infrastructure including cycle paths, tree planting and flood defences
- 500,000 GREEN JOBS supported over the next 5 years
- TRAIN thousands of new doctors and nurses to resolve the staffing crisis
- FUND our NHS properly so the patient backlog can be dealt with
- STOP privatisation and reaffirm the NHS as a fully public service, free at the point of use
Labour leader Kier Starmer set out 10 pledges during the Labour leadership election that provide a framework for the party’s direction. They are listed here.
The National Policy Forum is responsible for Labour’s policy development programme. Find details on the NPF website.
Our Local Plan
Reigate Labour’s plan for the council is drawn from our core principles: Redistribution, Equality, Fairness and Respect. Our key areas of focus include…
- HOUSING: safe and affordable housing for the whole borough
- ENVIRONMENT: ensuring the council meet net-zero commitments
- COMMUNITY: rebuilding local youth support and local services
- SOCIAL CARE: providing local hubs for mental and physical health support
- COST OF LIVING: supporting residents with redistributive measures